Thursday, January 17, 2013

Winter Weather and Project

We have had some crazy winter weather this week. Of course the kids were loving the idea of maybe getting out of school. School dismissed Monday and Tuesday half days and today we woke up to snow so they got a snow day today. They have really enjoyed themselves!
 When the weather is so cold like it has been this week, I always look for things to cook that will warm us up. One of my favorite, easy recipes is Red Beans and Rice. I have been cooking this for years. I got the recipe many years ago from my Debbie Dabs 5 Ingredient Cookbook. I always cook it in my crockpot for about 5 hours and then serve it on a bed of rice. It is so delicious, especially on a cold, rainy night. Here is the recipe in case you would like to try it. As I said it is super easy. Just throw all the ingredients together (except the rice) and let it simmer. Your house will smell so good but maybe not the next day ha!

3 cans of red beans(not drained)
1 can of mild rotel tomatoes(not drained)
1 pkg. of onion soup mix
chopped green peppers
1(lb.) beef link sausage, cut into small pieces(I use Bryan smoked sausage)



Tomorrow is Matt's 100th day of school. His teacher, Ms. Bowen asked the kids to create a poster using 100 things. So Matt and I got busy making his poster yesterday. We made a snowman using 100 marshmellows. He is so proud of his poster! I think they will be celebrating by doing some fun things in class on Friday. Here are a few pictures...




1 comment:

bettyb said...

Matt, your project is SO cute. I'll bet your teacher will like it! I wonder if she will count to see if you have 100 marshmallows?
I use that red beans recipe too-- can't be any easier and very good too.
Love,
Betty Ward