Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day!

We have had a fun weekend!  McKenzie and Matt are so glad to finally be out of school and David is thankful for the day off today. The weather was so beautiful Saturday, we decided to go to the zoo in Memphis. It was crowded due to the holiday weekend but we still had a great time. I can't believe we didn't get one picture of the kids but we did of our favorite animals this visit. They were the meerkats and the bears. The meerkats were so entertaining that we could sit and watch them for a long time.


After we left the zoo, we headed to Target to get a few things for the kids. Next we went to Barnes n Noble. That is one of our favorite stores. We let the kids pick out a few books to keep them reading over the summer.

After we left there it was time for some really great food at The Side Porch.

Today, David grilled some hamburgers and I made rotel and chips and chocolate covered strawberries. We have been hanging out just enjoying the day and even went for a walk while the kids rode their bikes. I love long weekends like this!




On a different note, I planted my flowers a few weeks ago.

Out front I did my usual two containers filled with red geraniums, begonias and impatiens and accent plants.
Back on the deck I have this neat new plant that I had never heard of but wanted to try is a flaming begonia. It has dropped some blooms but has been full of fiery orange blooms. Mama and I went down to the Crazy Lady's Flower House in Holcomb and that is where I found most of my flowers. It is the cutest nursery. The owner is so talented. She actually catered our wedding reception years ago and now she is retired doing what she loves to do, selling flowers. Can't wait to see what she has for the fall.

Another bean pot with mixed flowers...
I always have one of these palms. It does well until the first frost.

Also, I always like a fern by the back door. It makes that area look better with my McCarty wind chimes, too.

Something new I wanted to try this year is a succulent garden. I really like how it looks on the deck.


Lastly, I love decorating so I put out my patriotic wreath and flag for the Memorial Day weekend. I will use them again for the 4th. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the holiday!

1 comment:

bettyb said...

~looks like a very busy and very fun day. I am glad to see what the meerkats looked like. I've never heard of them. The planter pots are amazing as usual. Good job all the way around. Even the burgers,David!!!!
love,
Betty Ward