Thursday, August 30, 2012

Projects

Since the kids have been back in school three weeks, I have had more time to get a couple of projects done around the house. The first being a new kitchen table. I clipped a picture of a farmhouse table a year ago from Pottery Barn that I loved and thought would be cute and functional in our kitchen. I have looked several places for one like it and have had no luck. A friend told me about a couple in town who make these beautiful farmhouse style tables. I was able to have input on all of the details of the table. I was able to choose the size, type of wood, color, and even type of legs for it. I really love how it turned out. After her husband made the table, she distressed it and beat on it with a chain, then stained it a color called Mediterranean. Some women choose to have the legs of the table painted a color, then distressed but I wanted it all this dark brown. That way I can keep the table forever and just change out the chairs when I want a new look. I found the chairs on Overstock.com. They are black with a rush seat. If you live in Grenada or near, this couple has a few tables for sale at our Antique Mall. They are also making really cute coffee tables that have the dark tops and distressed colored legs. I have seen similar furniture in my August Southern Living magazine.




Another project that I wanted to do was create a desk area for the playroom where the kids could do their homework. I had my eye on a table David's mom had but wasn't using. I asked her if I could take it and do something with it. So, I have had this table for months thinking I would paint it but never did. I was afraid I would mess it up. The same lady that made my table also takes old pieces and paints and distresses them. I wish I had taken a before picture to show what it looked like but I forgot to. It was an off white which she painted a color called Black Magic on top of it. Next she rubbed a little brown stain on it and then distressed the edges with a sander. I love how it turned out. The kids have requested a rolling chair, so I found a cute red one online that I will order soon. I love to find old pieces and make them new again.

I moved this bulletin board into the kitchen to better keep up with all of our activities.

1 comment:

bettyb said...

I love the table and the desk. I will have to come over for supper sometime to see how well the chairs sit. HA.
I really do want to come by sooner rather than later to see it all in person. Hopefully that will happen soon.
love,
Betty Ward
McKenzie and Matt, you should make all A's with a cute desk like that to work from.