Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Container gardens

A few weeks ago, I showed a picture of my fall container garden. Suzanne wanted me to show how I switched my mums out and replaced them with pansies and kale. So, Suzanne my mums finally died and I was able to create my winter container garden. I removed the dead mums and planted yellow, purple, white and burgundy pansies. I also found a small pot of purple kale and added it along with the ivy and creeping jenny that stays in the container. The texture of the kale and the flowers look really good together. This urn on my driveway always cheers me up in the winter when everything else is so dead.

I have finally packed all of my Halloween decorations up and I have put out all of my little pilgrims and turkeys. I like to add these things to my pumpkins and leaves. I also have some cute Thanksgiving books that I read to McKenzie and Matt. I plan on buying the book Amanda recommended on her blog, The Night Before Thanksgiving.
I love Thanksgiving and always have since I was a little kid. Some of my fondest memories are going over to my aunt and uncle's house Betty and Ward Brister over on Margin Street when I was a little kid. I can remember lots of people coming to visit and eat. I also remember Betty's pretty table decorations. There was one that she made with a pineapple and apples...really cute. When we would get home in the late afternoon, Marty, MC and I would always decorate our rooms for Christmas with our little lighted trees. Thanksgiving seems to be the forgotten holiday these days, so we like to celebrate it at our house. I am excited about Christmas coming though and have to admit that we are already listening to Christmas music a little. We have this station called Music choice sounds of the season channel on our tv and we will turn it on sometimes. They play great music. At Halloween they played really spooky music. Can't believe they are already playing Christmas stuff. Anyway, I included a picture of my front porch for Thanksgiving. You will see my iron turkey to the right of my container garden. Those are the pumpkins the kids picked at the patch in Oxford.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful winter containers! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Oh,my,I'm feeling pressure: I haven't had cute table decorations on Thanksgiving in forever!! Our family has grown so that I'm usually more concerned with having enough seats and places to put food!I also love Thanksgiving because we all get together,eat,laugh and visit.I always look forward to the annual family picture made by David.It will really be fun in the new house this year, and I looking forward to it. Your container flowers and your decorations are just perfect: I wish you could rub off on me.You just have "the knack"which you inherited from your mother.I missed out on that gene.
love,
Betty

cmalderman said...

When I grow up I want a green thumb just like yours, Betty.

Davis and Suzanne said...

BA,
Thank you for taking pics...I am going to Home Depot in the morning! THanks for the inspriation!